A site for residents of Prince's Ward, SE11, in the London Borough of Lambeth. Check for updates from your Labour Action Team's campaigning, local information, and meetings.

Thursday 21 May 2009

Huge support for Mark's campaign to cut rents!



A big thank you to everyone who has signed up to my ‘Lower Rents Now’ campaign. There has been huge support from local residents, and I wanted to tell you about the progress that I have made in the last week.

This week I presented my rents petition to Margaret Beckett - the Government minister in charge of housing. I told her how many council tenants have been supporting my campaign, and why it is so important that the Government helps us reduce rents.

I also have the support of local MP Kate Hoey, who is helping me with my campaign and who recently raised the whole issue in a debate in Parliament. I met with her at the Houses of Parliament to discuss how we can get rents cut.

As you know, rents went up mainly because the Lib Dems made a massive mistake while they were in charge at the town hall. On top of the £3 million they lost in fraud, they refused to claim £11 million Government money that was available, and thanks to that we’re all being made to pay more.

If elected I will work with others to change the culture of mismanagement in the Housing department.

I have spent months speaking directly to local people, and I know what needs to be done to improve our area. Now I am standing for election to Lambeth Council on June 4th, so I can continue my campaign to lower your rent. If I get elected I can hit the ground running and make sure residents are given the service they deserve. Your vote will make a difference. I hope that I can count on your support on June 4th.

No comments:

Promoted by David Amos and Joanne Simpson of Prince's Branch Labour Party (Vauxhall Constituency and Lambeth Borough) all at 264A Rosendale Road, SE24 9DL